- THE NORTH WOOD FACTORY -
Marvin K. Peterson Library Reimagined
Space Planning, Furniture and Material Specification, Independent Research
Location: West Haven, CT
Class: Studio V
The University of New Haven is a four year private institution that was founded in 1920. It has a total undergrad enrollment of 5,097, from fall 2020. The campus is located on around 82 acres of land in a suburban/ city area. The university offers nearly 100 undergraduate majors and about 30 master's programs. Three core values determine how the university approaches issues and makes decisions essential to advancing the University of New Haven Mission. The entrance of the building is located on the North side of the building, which is accessible from the Maxcy Quad. On the southeast side, a parking lot serves as commuter parking as well as a bus stop for the campus shuttle. Southeast light penetrates the lower level, as well as the upper level while northern daylight is the primary source of daylight on the ground level. The ground level is partially built underground, with exposure to above ground on the southeast side. The northwest side of the building abuts to Maxcy Hall creating a small grassy courtyard that is not currently being utilized.
The University of New Haven - Marvin K. Peterson Library renovation will transform the current space and increase student attendance. The focus of the design is to inspire students and enhance their academics. Each floor at the library has a different noise level to benefit every student’s preference, and what they need to focus. The use of a variety of spaces whether it’s huddle rooms or social, lounging areas will cater to all kinds of students. Designing spaces where collaboration is encouraged will allow more creativity within students; and adding quiet, private spaces will keep students who work independently focused on their work. The new Marvin K. Peterson Library will serve to spark creativity within student collaboration and attract the student body to all the knowledge it has to offer.
The Marvin K Peterson Library was built in 1974 and designed by Douglas Orr, deCossy, Winder & Associates. The library was named after Martin K. Peterson. Peterson was the first president of the university, appointed in 1953 where he came from the board of directors. The Peterson administration was encouraged by studies which showed that the New Haven area needed full-time engineering programs and bachelor degree programs in business and engineering. Following the Kent State Killings, and the US invasion of Cambodia authorized payment for one busload of students to attend an antiwar rally in Washington. President Peterson and his administration then condemned racism and discrimination, tried to lessen animosities between the Day Student Council and the Black Student Union, and granted demands for lectures and teach-ins about race relations. Dr. Phillip S. Kaplan was chosen in May 1973 to succeed President Peterson.
Rendering in Collaboration with Sandy Borja